There are many ski jackets on the market, and they come from a range of different brands and companies. However, nearly all of them utilize Gore-Tex. The innovative material, first developed in 1969, is both breathable and waterproof. Those two aspects make it perfect for skiing.
This guide analyzes three of the best Gore-Tex winter jackets on the market and explains what makes them great for skiing. Not only are the clothing items easy to wear while speeding around the slopes, but they look great as well.
- The Arc’teryx Rush is a jacket completely focused on comfort. This sleek item is waterproof, windproof, and comes with excellent ventilation. The Gore-Tex seals out all moisture and the chin guard has unique brushed fabric to keep your face warm when the coat is zipped up all the way. Those features are then backed up by a special no-lift design in the underarms that promotes flexibility as you ride. The jacket is available in quite a few colors and looks stylish on the slopes and around town.
- The Marmot Men’s Spire is a great Gore-Tex jacket for skiers who want a lot of features in a more affordable package. This water-resistant shell stands up to rain, wind, and snow, providing you solid protection and comfort on all of your runs.
In addition, this comes with a handy zip-out powder skirt. The roomy, fully adjustable hood increases versatility by giving you ways to prepare for both backcountry exploration and standard runs. The dual-color design looks great as well.
- The Outdoor Research Hemispheres makes the list of the best Gore-Tex jackets due to its innovative design. This model combines Gore-Tex panels with unique Stretch Technology at key points in the jacket (shoulders, hood, underarms) to promote flexibility without sacrificing protection. The 2-layer design works wonders out on the mountain. It flows seamlessly with the breathable shell and TorsoFlo side vents to give you great ventilation no matter how much you sweat. On top of that, the jacket has a great look and stylish design.
Who Should Get This?
Skiers looking for heavy protection will love Gore-Tex jackets. Though all ski clothes combat the snow, few of them manage to do it like the models listed here. Gore-Tex repels all types of moisture, including snow, fog, and rain. If you often find yourself out in harsh winter conditions, or if you find moisture to be a problem with your normal geat, a Gore-Tex jacket will help.
Gore-Tex options are also great for more active skiers who need good ventilation during their runs. The breathable material cuts down on sweat, which keeps your body warmer for longer periods of time.
Best Gore-Tex Ski Jacket: What to Consider?
At the end of the day, your ski jacket needs to be able to take a beating. It doesn’t matter if you only go for short runs or if you spend all day in the snow, your clothes are going to get hit with moisture of some kind. As such, you need a jacket that is able to take those hits without wearing or breaking down. It is also important to look for windproof options or jackets with reinforced materials.
A ski jacket needs to be sturdy, but you don’t want a cumbersome item that will weigh you down. When picking out premium winter clothing it is easy to go with the models with the most protection. While that is important, you should always consider a jacket’s weight before making your final decision. Light models with strong construction tend to be the sweet spot. You can get something sturdier, just make sure it allows you to move.
No matter what ski jacket you buy, you’re going to need good insulation. Many models, while impressive on the surface, simply do not do a good job of locking the cold out. To prevent such issues, look for jackets that have internal padding or extra layers that will keep you warm in a range of different environments.
Best Gore-Tex Ski Jacket: Our Picks
Stylish and flexible, the Arc’teryx Rush is a lightweight jacket packed with features. The premium materials lock out wind and water, while also providing you with a comfortable fit. In addition, the no-lift underarm design offers a fantastic range of motion and the chin guard utilizes brushed fabric to keep your face warm when bundled up. There are several colors to choose from as well.
What We Like:
- Extremely comfortable
- Water and windproof
- Great ventilation
- Special no-lift design allows for more flexibility
- Chin guard keeps face warm
- Plenty of color options
What We Don’t Like:
- None. This jacket does it all.
With its bright, dual-color design, the Marmot Spire is a great Gore-Tex ski jacket at a reasonable price. The clothing item has a sturdy outer shell combined with a 3-layer Gore-Tex design to ensure you’re ready for anything. On top of that, you also get a zip-out powder skirt, a variety of pockets, and a fully adjustable hood.
What We Like:
- Gore-Tex shell keeps water out
- Zip-out powder skirt
- Adjustable hood
- Available in a range of colors
- Great features for the price
What We Don’t Like:
- Zippers are not water-resistant
- Insulation not as sturdy as it could be
Skiers who want flexibility in their Gore-Tex jacket should look no further than the Hemispheres model from Outdoor Research. The clothing item not only looks great, it also utilizes a special 2-layer design that combines Gore-Tex panels with Stretch Technology at the hood, shoulders, and underarms. That gives you a great range of motion while on the slopes. On top of that, the jacket is comfortable and comes with excellent ventilation.
What We Like:
- TorsoFlo side vents
- Gore-Tex panels protect you from the elements
- Stretch Technology
- Wind and waterproof
- Soft C-Knit interior backer
- Good ventilation
What We Don’t Like:
- Hood could be larger
Useful Tips and Information
Even if you know what Gore-Tex is and how it works, it is not easy to explain. This guide gives you the low-down on all the different types of Gore-Tex and explains why they work in the way that they do.
Alternatively, if you want to further your Gore-Tex ski jacket knowledge, this video shows the best way to clean the clothing after extended use.
Gore-Tex is an incredibly handy material that is used in a wide range of different products. Though not all ski jackets utilize Gore-Tex, the ones that do provide you with everything you would ever need during a ski session.
The above models are the best Gore-Tex jackets on the market, providing you with comfort, resistance, and durability. Though they all have their own premium features, they each give excellent results.
Are there any other Gore-Tex ski jackets we missed? Any not on here that you really like? Let us know below!